A web host is a service provider or company that provides internet servers for publishers or website owners. Servers are storage spaces for files of a website, which will be distributed on the Internet and seen by all Internet users. These spaces are composed of memory, hard disk and operating system. A host therefore allows you, among other things, to make your domain name accessible to all Internet users and in addition to having servers, the web host also ensures the security of all the files stored on the servers. He installs, updates and takes care of the maintenance of the servers. Below are some projects or articles related to web hosting.
What is a web host used for?
The web host offers you a storage space on a server continuously connected to the Internet or has various tools to configure it, FTP access to release data and an SSL certificate in order to secure it. The principle is therefore simple, the owners of the website deposit their data on the servers of the web host, and the latter therefore ensures that it is put online. In addition, he ensures that the content reaches Internet users 24 hours a day. It also provides other services like backing up websites and managing servers.
What is the particularity of the web host?
In addition to having servers, the web host also ensures the security of all files stored on the servers. He installs, updates and takes care of the maintenance of the servers. They also offer server management, IT support, or security solutions (anti-virus, anti-hacking, website backup, etc. They can also support customers in setting up and using servers. The type of hosting depends on how the information or even the files of your website and / or blog will be stored on the server but also, it can depend on the type of technology used, available resources, etc.
The different types of web hosting
A web host can provide four types of web hosting, namely:
Hosting is shared when several websites (from 1000 up to 3000) share a single and unique server.
Virtual Private Server hosting offers a server shared by about twenty sites. Each site gets the same amount of space and memory on the server.
This is a solution that offers a single server for a single website. It is intended for sites that need an ultra-efficient confidentiality system.
It is a type of hosting that offers the possibility of using the resources of several servers on an identical network. It has increased computer security.
A few reasons why one needs hosting.
- Hosting your website on a server will undoubtedly allow you to make it accessible to everyone via the Internet.
- We are going to call on companies specializing in this field for two main reasons: reliability and cost.
- Indeed, the (good) hosting companies first had to make substantial investments to obtain powerful and reliable servers.
- Then, these hosts will offer to rent us part of their server, or even an entire server in some cases, so that we can place our installation there.
- We can compare this process to MRI (medical imaging) for example: the machines used to make MRIs are extremely expensive. So when you have to have an MRI, you're not going to buy the machine yourself; you will rather go to a specialized clinic, and pay a certain price for the use of this machine.
- The hosts, in addition to having very powerful servers and connections, will generally also offer third-party services such as customer service at your service, automatic installations of certain software, access to ready-made site themes, etc.