Website Security is the first thing you should think about when you plan to build a website.
The security of your website plays a vital role in your online activities. Whether you have a blog, a business website, or an e-commerce platform, you need to secure your website. Protecting your website is essential to avoid losing your data or putting your customers’ information at risk. Today I will give you some tips that will help you improve your website’s security. To improve the security of your website, apply these tips to your website.
1- Use Captcha to protect your forms against spam
A captcha will protect your website from spam. One of the most popular captchas is Google Captcha. You can go on the Google platform and get the one that’s right for you. For example, reCAPTCHA v3 protects your website against spam and unauthorized abuse. Based on a scalable risk analysis engine, it prevents automated software from damaging your site while allowing your identified users to surf with ease. To get reCAPTCHA v3 to work on your website, here’s how:
Front end integration
- When loading a page or during an action, call reCAPTCHA. execute
- You must send the token to your correspondent with the verification request
You should note that you can run reCAPTCHA for an unlimited time with different actions on the same page. If you are using a CMS like Magento, WordPress or PrestaShop, you can get an extension that will help you add the Google Captcha to your site. You can also opt for a built-in captcha depending on the platform you are using.
2- Use an SSL certificate to encrypt the communication
It will encrypt the communication between your users and your server, which will add an extra layer of security to your website. Besides, it allows connections to be encrypted to protect sensitive information provided by customers while authenticating any organization’s identity.
Here are the steps to install SSL certificates on your server:
- Generate a certificate signing request (CSR) containing information about the public key and the server,
- Request the SSL certificate from a secure source on the Internet based on your specific needs.
- Install the SSL certificate after receiving it by email or through the customer dashboard.
- Associate SSL with your website.
If you want to get affordable SSL, you can try this link. The starting price is $16.5.
3- Reinforce the type of password that users enter on your website.
Instead of allowing your users to type in any password, you can set something a little more secure. Thus, you make sure that your website is protected against password guessing. For example, you can use patterns or require users to enter specific types of characters. If possible, you can further enhance security with two-factor authentication. Two-factor authentication will require users to enter their password and validated it by a code sent to the phone.
For users who have access to your server, you can use secure authentication such as SSH keys.
The steps to configure the SSH authentication key are as follows:
- It would be best if you placed the public key on the server in a single directory.
- When a user connects to the server, it asks him to prove that he has the associated private key.
- The SSH client will use the private key to respond to demonstrate ownership of the private key. The server will then let the client connect without a password.
4 – Improve server security.
You have certain features on your servers, such as IP blockers or certain tools that can protect your website against brutal attacks. Here are some server security measures you can apply:
- In the IP blocker case, you will be able to stop any attack after a certain number of attempts.
- Some servers also offer the option of forcing users to change their password after a certain period of time.
- You can force users to change and use different passwords if they have used them once before.
- You can also restrict access to the server to only authorized users using IP addresses.
5 – Scan your code regularly
Scanning your code periodically and receiving the alert if a potential attack will help you be always safe. We can never control our solutions by 100%. And by using some automated tools, you can act quickly before something alarming happens. One of the software that you can use to scan your website regularly is SiteLock. SiteLock automatically scans for known vulnerabilities and malicious code and automatically removes them from your website. If you are using a CMS like Magento, registering your site for a security scan can help. This way, you will know which aspect of your website needs extra protection.
To install your SiteLock security seal:
- You need to register and go to your SiteLock dashboard.
- Then you need to follow the wizard instructions to complete your verification.
- Once registration is complete, you will be able to access the code you need for your site.
6. Automate the security scan of your website if possible.
Many automated solutions can allow you to scan your website every week. Some are free; others are chargeable. If you are using Magento and want to know how to improve Magento security, please read this article. ” How to improve the security of your open-source Magento website.“