A web server is a software that makes web pages stored on the disk accessible to many computers (clients). So, what about LINUX SERVER? All first, Linux is an operating system, just like Mac OS X or Windows. However, the LINUX server allows you to work as you would under Windows. They are a little different from each other. Linux is still like a full system of archaic and more or less complicated commands for some people.
Linux is a free and complete operating system that can be used in commercial operating systems such as Windows and Microsoft. It is accompanied by several complementary free software, offering a complete system to the customers.
This system can be used on servers (web servers or LAN), on smartphones or PCs.
Several versions are available on the Linux server, downloadable for free from the net, and named distributions “, like Ubuntu or Debian.
What is a Linux server for?
Linux server has a critical role. The operating system is the conductor that links your machine and the software. It manages the computer’s memory and distributes it among the programs. Windows, macOS and Linux are the most famous operating systems.
Configuring a server on Linux
This part explains how to install the Apache webserver on a UNIX-like system (typically a Linux distribution such as RedHat, Mandrake or any other).
For this, some knowledge of Linux or Unix is necessary. The goal of this sheet will be to retrieve the sources of the various necessary elements and compile them (a C compiler is, therefore, necessary, it is generally installed by default on most Linux distributions) to have a system operational.
The following installation includes the installation of the interpreter PHP, a programming language for creating dynamically created pages, and the MySQL DBMS, a powerful relational database management system running on Linux (and free!).
Good to know!
To check if the installation worked well, you need to create a small file in the webserver document root (called DocumentRoot in the configuration file httpd. conf). In the same vein, we see that in web hosting, Linux is often considered the best operating system for hosting servers, and If you intend to use PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby or MySQL, Linux turns out to be an excellent choice.
Advantages and disadvantages of Linux server
Advantages of Linux Server in Industry
The Linux server is full of several advantages, including:
- First, it is Open-Source. It has an open-source code that developers can use to adapt it to their needs. This is one reason why there are several Linux distros out there these days, all of which offer pros and cons and meet different needs. This operating system is completely free. We know that in the case of an industrial PC, the operating system’s license can represent a large part of its price.
- Then there is its stability. Linux has long been recognized for its stability. Some factories work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Therefore, it is important that the operating system that contains the solutions that control and supervise is stable and operates, in the same way, all the time.
- At the end of the day, there are his performances. The Linux server has always been very efficient. The operating system’s performance is essential so that the majority of the power is allocated to the applications that it keeps. Linux is good in this category with a shallow running memory footprint. Also, the fact of being able to install only the necessary services makes it possible to allocate processor power where it is necessary.
However, it is necessary to specify that these advantages are not in general titles. Still, they differ according to one user’s points of view, but these opinions are the most appreciated.
Disadvantages or limitations of Linux server
This operating system has many advantages. However, it would undoubtedly be much more used if it did not have some drawbacks that easily put off IT departments.
To know :
- it does not have a graphical interface, which does not give a very nice aesthetic impression;
- most of the tasks performed are in text mode, which greatly slows down the progress of users because they are forced to keep command lines in mind to access essential functions
- its use requires a good mastery of the system …
The Linux server is not the most widely used operating system in the world. Based on this remark, hardware manufacturers generally do not allocate any budget for the development of Linux drivers.
Applications and editors
Developing software is complicated and consumes time, resources and, therefore, money. Once again, Linux is not the most widely used operating system in the world. This is why publishers favour the creation of tools available under Microsoft Windows rather than Linux. Especially for solutions that require a lot of discussion with the communication drivers or the system.
Few applications exist for industry available under Linux. Web technologies could change this as Linux is particularly suited to host this type of technology, so we can say that LINUX’s great use implies the great evolution of web technologies.