I share with you some necessary steps to build a self-hosted website. If you're going to build a website, this is how we usually do it.
Get a domain nameThe first thing that you need to do is to go on Google and Search for the domain name. If you search for a domain name, you have a lot of options. You can get a domain name From Godaddy at only 0.99 CAD.There are many providers of Domain names for a self-hosted website. Some of them are:
Buy a web hostingThe second step will be to get Web hosting. To get web hosting; it is a similar process. You need to go on Google and search for web hosting. Once you get your list, you have a lot of options. You can select anyone you want. For example, you can get web hosting from HostPapa, stating at 3.89 $/month.You can as well pick any hosting on the internet; provided that they are accessible and have excellent technical support teams. When you go for a self-hosted solution, you have to keep in mind that the management of the server is your responsibility. And hence, reaching the technical support of your provider is essential. Adding to the technical support, you need to find out if they support the solution that you intend to choose. Let assume that you want to use Magento to build your website; the hosting providers should provide help for Magento.
Connect your Domain name to the web hostingOnce you have a web hosting and domain name, the next step is to connect your domain name to your web hosting. To do that, you need to change your DNS record available in your account. Once you have changed the DNS record, the next step is to choose the technology you want to use.You might not need to change the DNS record if you have the hosting and domain with the same company. Usually, if you want to avoid the part, you can purchase a domain and host from the equal company. For instance, most of the hosting providers such as Godaddy, JustHost and HostPapa, also provide hosting. And most of the time, they give a domain name for free during the first year if you are a new customer.
Decide which technology you will like to useFor any self-hosted website, you need to choose a technology. It might be a static or dynamic (Custom or CMS). Do you want a static website? A custom website or a CMS? You need to decide. If you choose to go with a CMS, you can select among the popular that we have online. You can choose between Joomla, WordPress, Prestashop, anyone that you find suitable for your needs. Once you decide the technology, you can go ahead and search for any template online. There are many providers of models that can help to get one at less than 15$. So.The technology will play an essential role in the management of your website. For instance, some tools such as Magento requires technical skills for regular update. Whereas WordPress is straightforward and easy to use. On the other hand, it is always preferable to pick a tool that aligns with your business vision. Some CMSs are more for corporate websites. And hence, using them for an eCommerce website will add extra work and more customizations.
Tools appropriate for Corporate websites.If you want to build a dynamic corporate website or blog; these are some tools for you:
- WordPress - One of the most popular CMS for blogs and corporate websites. Statistically, the vast majority of people use WordPress to build their website. It is best known for its flexibility and features.
- Joomla - Another OpenSource CMS for website development. It is also among the most popular tool for website development.
- Drupal - OpenSource Content Management System widely used around the World. Drupal is a scalable, open-source platform for websites and applications.
Best tools for eCommerce websitesIf you are looking forward to building an online shop, these are some tools for you.
- Magento - Magento is the most used CMS around the world for the creation of e-commerce platforms. People like Magento for its security, its ability to be used without external tools for the management of e-commerce platforms.
- WooCommerce - WooCommerce is a crucial tool for creating transactional websites. It is a tool that makes use of the power of WordPress to offer you a platform of quality.
- PrestaShop - PrestaShop is one of the most used tools for the development of eCommerce platforms. It is among one of the most used tools in the world, and it is widely known for its ease of use and flexibility.
- Shopify - (Not an opensource) - But you can use it to build your eCommerce website. One of the particularities of Shopify is that you don't have to worry about technical support.