We define ergonomics as implementing rules to design a site easy to use, where information can be easily accessed.
In general, ergonomics is the study of the relationships between man and the machines that surround him. In other words, it represents how we are going to use a piece of hardware, software, or a system. Ergonomics makes it possible to adapt objects to benefit from optimal daily use in the best conditions of safety, comfort, ease and efficiency.
We say that a website is ergonomic when it is useful, accessible and satisfies users.
Reading online is much more complicated than in print. Internet users, therefore, do not take the time to read on websites for long. Therefore, it is considered that the user briefly and quickly flies over the contents.
Therefore, it is necessary to provide clearly visible and easily readable information, where the user will quickly find the appropriate content. With the competition that exists, the Internet user makes a quick choice: either stays or leaves the site.
So, what are the advantages of the ergonomics of a website?
Benefits of ergonomics of a website
Ergonomics can have several advantages; to know:
- A professional image. The ergonomics of a website results from an in-depth analysis of the user’s needs and objectives. An expert in the field carries out the study. Then, the actual design is done by the web designer and the web development specialist.
- The result obtained is a serious step and thus confers more professionalism.
- Limitless customization. The ergonomic website is distinguished by its design, which incorporates perfectly the designer’s graphic charter and, therefore, conveys the brand’s image. A personalized presentation allows users to quickly and easily identify the brand. Depersonalization is also a real advantage when it comes to functionality. The designer can integrate all the tools that allow him to make the most of his platform.
- The cost. It is the main element that constitutes the disadvantages of the ergonomics of a website. The designer must plan a consistent budget.
- The time needed to create an ergonomic website. Designing an ergonomic website takes time. The duration of the creation of the website depends on the specific requests and needs of each applicant.
Why the ergonomics of a website?
Every day, you have to use objects that have been designed in the normal way to make your life easier. Therefore, ergonomics’ mission is to adapt these objects to humans to make your life easier and easier.
Ergonomics is more and more familiar.
With the advance of new technologies, this discipline had to become familiar with the web. Thus, when designing a site, it is essential to facilitate the interaction between man and the interface as much for the site owner as for the users (users) who will consult it.
The web ergonomics should not be neglected in the realization of an internet project. In fact, by placing your Internet users’ experience at the centre of everything, you increase the chances that they will appreciate it, that they will come back more often and talk about it around them.
Considering the previous elements, it must be said that investing in such a website will, therefore, be more profitable and profitable because it will make it easier to reach your goals, including increased sales, registrations, visits, and many others.
The ergonomic criteria of a website
- Simplicity: A clean website will thus strengthen the credibility of the organization.
- Lightly loaded: Animated images are therefore not recommended. Favour them for strong messages because they catch the eye of the Internet user.
- Clarity: It should be considered that written information is less easy to read on a screen than
on paper (25% more reading time). Thus, the ventilation of the text is necessary for ergonomics.
- Structuring: Paragraphs and headings at different levels should structure the text to make it easier to read.
- Organization: The information elements must be ranked by level of importance. Thus, the most important should appear at the top of the page.
- Easy to navigate: The “3 clicks rule” stipulates that all information must be accessible in less than 3 clicks. Indeed, it makes navigation easier and becomes essential for ergonomics.
- Spotting: At all times, the visitor must be able to find his way around the site. The logo must therefore be present on all pages in the same location. Besides, all the pages must have a uniform graphic charter.
- Address visibility: The URL of the current page must be constantly visible and sufficiently explicit to allow the user to locate himself to return easily.
- Information tangibility: The information on the site must be qualified, that is to say, elements allowing to know the date of update where the author must be present. On the other hand, avoid sections under construction.
- Homogeneity of the structure: The navigation elements must be located in the same place on all the pages, if possible, with a uniform presentation so that the Net surfer is found there.
- Optimized images: It is advisable to optimize the size of the images as much as possible by choosing a suitable format and the smallest possible number of colours. It is recommended not to exceed 30/40 KB maximum per image unless necessary.
- Facilitation of exchanges: It is desirable to put everything in place to facilitate the exchange with visitors, in particular, to collect their impressions and requests.
To create an effective website, you must first adapt it to your visitors and their expectations.
In all cases, your site must respect the classic rules of ergonomics. He must be sober. It must be perfectly organized and hierarchical to facilitate reading. The information sought should be easily accessible, with a few clicks as possible.
Finally, the visitor should be guided from their landing page until they search. If all this work has been done according to the art rules, do not forget to pay attention to the speed of loading the pages.
Also, think about optimizing the ergonomics of your site for mobiles. Your site should be easy to navigate on a mobile or in front of your computer screen.
Some applications for a website
- The effectiveness of the website. For instance, the user must succeed in carrying out the action he entered on a website in a simple and fast way.
- The efficiency of the website. We can illustrate it by the fact that a user should perform their actions quickly and intuitively with as few errors as possible.
- The satisfaction that the website brings. A website must be of service to its users and not respond to a personal ego. Internet users must, therefore, find satisfaction once their action is completed and successfully carried out.
Some important links
- What is the impact of load time on customer acquisition?
- Save time and money by automating certain tasks
Do you want an ergonomic website? Contact us.