Table of Contents►
Want to know how to install a WordPress theme? In this article, we look at all the steps to installing WordPress themes. Indeed, there is a standard approach to follow. Configuration may vary. We will see the configuration of some themes using popular tools.
General process of installing a WordPress theme
To install a WordPress theme, you can follow these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress site using your login credentials.
- In the left menu of your dashboard, click on “Appearance” then on “Themes”.
- Click the "Add New" button at the top of the page.
- You can now browse the themes available in the WordPress library or download a theme that you purchased or downloaded elsewhere. To download a theme, click the "Load Theme" button at the top of the page and select your theme .zip file from your computer.
- Once you have selected the file, click "Install Now".
- WordPress will now install the theme and show you a notification once it is done.
- To activate the theme, click on “Activate”.
Your new theme should now be installed and activated on your WordPress site. Note that some themes may require additional plugins or additional configuration to function properly. Be sure to read the instructions that come with the theme for more information.
How to add your theme in the wp-content/themes folder of the webserver?
In order to install a theme on WordPress , you must have it in the “wp=content/themes” folder. To add it, you have 4 options
- Manually transfer the theme. You connect to your web server, with identifiers and a password. Then you move the compressed version of your theme into the wp-content/themes folder which you will then extract.
- Use an FTP . Some web hosts or companies do not give you access to servers via a hypertext link. In this case, you can use the FTP credentials to do the transfer. An FTP (or File Transfer Protocol) is a protocol that allows you to connect your desktop computer to the web server.
- Using the WordPress Quick Install Tool (The case briefly described above)
- Find the theme in the WordPress theme bank
Many developers will offer you other options such as command lines or their custom tools.